Historic Sites near Wharton Lock Apartment, Chester

The Parish Church of St John the Baptist: This is the oldest Church in Chester standing on what is considered to be one of the oldest Christian site in the UK. The foundation dates to 689AD when Æthelred King of Mercia built it as the Minster for West Mercia. St John’s retained its Cathedral status until the Reformation, although the Bishop was usually resident in Lichfield. Architecturally it is one of the most important Churches in the British Isles combining Norman, Transitional and Gothic Architecture. It is the Church of the homage of the King’s to King Edgar in 973 and the place of the first meeting of the Court of Chivalry in 1383. The Cheshire Minstrels have come each year from 1102 on St John the Baptist’s Day to renew their licences. The Organ was used in Westminster Abbey for the Coronation of Queen Victoria in 1838.
The Roman Amphitheatre: This amphitheatre is the largest uncovered amphitheatre in the country. The first amphitheatre on this site was constructed of timber in the late AD 70, this was then rebuilt in stone towards the end of the First Century. By the middle of the Second Century it had fallen into disuse. Nowadays it is an active archeological site.
Nine Houses: Nine Houses is a row of 17th century almshouses, six of which still remain. These timber framed houses, built on sandstone plinths, were occupied by residents who had to be over 65 years old and who had to abstain from smoking and drinking alcohol. In the 1960s their condition deteriorated, fortunately in 1968 a grant was obtained and complete restoration was carried out.
There are many examples of Tudor housing in the centre of Chester, they contain rich carvings cut into the blackened wood, some of the best examples are in Watergate Street and include:-
Bishop Lloyds House: built for George LLoyd, the Bishop of Sodor and Man and later of Chester - this is the most ornately carved timber framed house in ChesterGod Providence House: Built in 1652, it is inscribed with Gods Providence is Mine Inheritance - this is thought to be the only house in Chester to escape the Black Death and for this reason it was saved from demolition in the 19th century.
Old Leche House: This was built in 1600 by the Leches of Carden - in the 18 Century it was used as a public house called The Hand and Snake.